Ready to step toward greater time success? Then try this brief Time Travel Exercise. It will help you uncover what I like to think of as your Family Legacy of Time – what you learned about time from an early age.
The following fill-in-the-blank exercise can generate surprising insights. Don’t be judgmental or self-critical as you approach these questions. The more you can explore your history with a relaxed and open mind, the more information you’ll make available to yourself.
You can also broaden the exercise to include other family members who influenced your early development around time. Adapt this exercise to suit your needs and experiences – don’t limit yourself!
- My mother/father always wanted to __________ but never took the time.
- I felt valued when my mother/father spent time __________.
- When I was younger, I promised myself I’d never spend time __________ the way my mother/father did.
- My mother/father spent lots of time _________ no matter what.
- I liked the way my mother/father always took time to _______.
- My mother/father spent more time __________ when stressed.
- When I look at where my life feels out of balance and think of my mother/father’s time choices, I see that ____________.
Now step back and think about your responses. What does completing this exercise reveal to you? What surprises you? Which of your family’s time choices have you adopted as your own? How do you use them in your life today? Are there things that you’d like to change?
Some of your discoveries might feel bittersweet. But remember, even as you see the losses, they ultimately lead to greater freedom! Remember that the more compassion you feel as you view your family’s time choices (and yours), the more possibilities open up to you.
Consider revisiting this exercise over time. See what percolates today, tomorrow … and why not ask your dreams for their input, too! As you allow your feelings to guide you, new paths will reveal themselves. Who knows what uplifting ways you’ll find to use time!
Want to learn more about how you can expand and deepen your time and efforts … in whatever areas you choose? Here’s a great way to explore avenues to increasing your time skills and heart-based power – whether it’s in your business, or your personal life. I am so pleased to be able to offer my expertise and support as The Official SelfGrowth.com Guide to “Time Management”.
You can visit by clicking the link, and when you do you’ll find lots of time management articles by experts in the field, along with a vibrant and welcoming on-line community. Stop by my Expert Page and leave a comment or question … or just say hello. There are lots of ways to connect … I’d love to get started!
- Find Time to Build Your Brave Muscles With a Daily Courage Workout (thetimefinder.com)
- Find Time to Celebrate Clarity and Realism this Holiday Season (thetimefinder.com)
- Finding Time by Growing Your Courage Incrementally: Today’s Timely Tip! (thetimefinder.com)